WordPress SEO Optimization is not rocket science, but it does require a moderate level of experience and understanding of common SEO practices. WordPress is my favorite CMS to work with as it allows every page of a website to be indexed with less leg work. Here are some top tips for optimizing your website’s WordPress SEO.
WordPress SEO Optimization Tips
How do you want your website to appear? non-WWW ( example.com ) or WWW ( www example com ) In your WP dashboard navigate to Settings > General, to assure the version you want to show up is set. If you don’t already have Google Webmaster Tools set up for your domain I highly suggest doing so; and verify that your settings are set the same there as well.
The title page of your page is one of the single most important factors in determining your search engine visibility. This title becomes the “name” of the tab or browser window. This is also the first thing people will see in search results, followed by the URL and the snippet or summary description of the page.
Search engines put a lot of weight on the first couple of words, so be sure to keep your keywords near the beginning of the page title. People naturally gravitate towards the search engine listings that match their search terms.
You should already have an plugin installed for your post optimization such as Platinum SEO. These allow you to easily determine the title and description of each post. A couple great things to keep in mind when writing your post titles
a. The title should always contain the keyword you think is the most important, I refer to it as the focus keyword. Ideally you want it at the beginning of your title.
b. If your goal is to increase exposure of your Brand, include it in the title of each of your posts. Remember title descriptions are limited to 70 characters, so be creative.
c. Above all else, try to “sell” the viewer with your title. This is what they see in search engine results and can be the difference between them clicking on your post versus your competitor.
WordPress SEO Optimization
- Place keyword in the page TITLE which means the HTML title tag.
- Ensure to repeat the keyword in H1 and H2 and if possible H3.
- Place the keyword in the “alt” attribute along with the “title” attribute on the image tag.
- Put the keyword Placement in “keywords” and “description” meta tags in the header would also help.
- Addition of an an image larger than 200 pixels but smaller than 1000, with the keyword in the image file’s name may also boost optimization.
- Some related keywords, called LSI (latent semantic index) keywords should be placed within in the content.
Here are the top 3 WordPress SEO plugins you need to be using now. These will save you time and remind you of the key items you need to insert to make sure you blog is optimized.
1. All in One SEO Pack – This free plugin is one of the most popular WordPress SEO plugin around, and for good reason. This plugin automatically generates META tags, optimized your titles, and also enables you to manually includes unique META tags for each individual blog post and page. This help in reducing the amount of pages with similar META tags.
2. Platinum SEO – Another all round SEO plugin, this particular one will automatically apply 301 redirects for any permalink changes. Besides many other features, it also had the ability to automatically generate all relevant META tags for each post. A great time-saving feature!
3. SEOPressor – This is a very powerful on-page SEO plugin for WordPress which literally takes you by the hand and lets you know exactly what steps you need to take on each individual blog post
With the use of these plugins you will quickly and easily be on your way to having a search engine optimized blog.
We’ll explore more WordPress SEO Optimization tips in future posts including topics such as XML sitemaps, Author highlighting, and the use of site-wide links (think the blogroll). In the meantime, you should begin to reap the rewards of more targeted traffic if you begin to understand that optimizing your website for search engines should be a top priority!