Some of the best poker games online right now are variants of poker like Texas Hold’em, Omaha hi-lo, Seven-card stud, five-card poker, and various others.
Today we’ll dig into one such exciting variant that is OFC Poker or Chinese Poker.
The difference between regular poker and OFC is that it gets played with only thirteen cards. OFC is a score based game; there are no bets or pot you can win. You win this poker variant based on the highest score of all the players.
Divide your cards into three parts as follows:
- Top hand – 3 cards.
- Middle hand – 5 cards.
- Botton hand – 5 cards.
The players in the game have to follow this arrangement format. This game gets played between two to four players.
You can opt-out of the game. The players need to compare their hands. The top, middle and bottom hands will get compared in a clockwise round. You score based on how strong or weak your hand is. If you want to score high, you should aim at having your bottom hand be the strongest and then the middle and top.
Since we were speaking of making the strongest poker hands let’s see the hierarchy of Chinese poker hand rankings.
- Royal Flush
- Straight Flush
- Four of a Kind
- Full House
- Flush Straight
- Three of a kind
- Two pair
- One pair
- High card
Steps to play OFC poker:
- Players decide on a fixed amount before the game starts.
- The rule of allowing a player to opt-out or surrender in a game needs to be pre-decided.
- The dealer begins dealing thirteen cards starting from the player sitting to the immediate next to him. The dealer keeps changing in a clockwise motion.
- All players get thirteen cards, whether it’s two, three, or four players.
- Divide your cards between the top, bottom, and middle hands.
- The player to the dealer’s immediate left will start the round by deciding whether they want to continue or surrender.
- In the same order as above, the players will announce their royalties.
- Then the cards get turned face-up, and the comparison of each hand will take place.
- Each player gets one point for having the winning hand. And if you win all three hands, then it is called a ‘scoop.’ Winning all three hands will get you three points.
- There needs to be a check done to determine whether a player made a foul or missed a set.
- Once the points get counted on the scoreboard, this hand comes to an end, and the dealer changes.
So, there you have the fundamentals of OFC poker. Sharpen your gameplay and hone your skills in front of your friends and family. This poker variant will never let you get bored.