Jaundice is caused due to excessive bilirubin content in the blood. The colour of the skin, the sclera (white of the eyes), and the mucous membrane display a yellow tinge due to increased bile pigment, bilirubin. When the red blood cells break down, bilirubin is released which is then filtered by the liver along with the older damaged blood cells. But, if the liver cannot do its job, the process gets disrupted and bilirubin gets accumulated in the blood leading to the condition called jaundice. There are many home remedies, which can work well with your liver function and aids in removing toxins and wastes out of the system as well as preventing jaundice recurrence. Now you might wonder what those natural remedies are. Yes! Then scroll down the article and find some quick tips to solve your health conditions.
Symptoms of jaundice:
The first symptom, you notice when you have jaundice is the change in the yellow colour of the white of the eyes (Sclera). Other symptoms include:
- Abdominal pain
- Itchy skin (Pruritus)
- Pale faeces
- Dark urine
- Weight gain
If you feel you have jaundice or have any of the above-listed symptoms, speak to the doctor immediately. Your doctor will do a thorough physical examination and suggest a few blood tests to check your liver. Treatments are planned based on the severity of the disease and if medicines are prescribed, order from a trusted order medicine online India and avail of amazing medicine discount on all your orders.
Jaundice issue arises in any of the three phases of bilirubin production. Here, we have listed out a few causes for developing jaundice and it includes:
- Liver cirrhosis
- Yellow fever
- Haemolytic uraemic syndrome
- Gall stones
- Sickle cell anaemia
- Pancreatic cancer
- Liver cancer
- Weil’s disease
- Drug-induced immune haemolytic anaemia
- Breast milk jaundice (new-born)
- Bile duct obstruction
- Alcoholic liver disease
10 Natural remedies to treat jaundice:
Though medication may be required in some hostile cases, there are a few effective natural remedies that can help you fix your jaundice. Look at them below:
- Sunlight: Sunlight is one of the most cost-effective ways to lower bilirubin levels in the newborn. Never expose your baby directly in the sunlight as the just born might get sunburned. Showing your baby in the sunlight that passes through the window for 10 minutes twice a day might help to lower the bilirubin levels in the body.
- Sugarcane juice: Sugarcane juice is the best natural remedy to treat jaundice and to fortify the liver. Drink a glass of sugarcane juice daily till you recover from jaundice.
- Lemon: Lemons are rich in antioxidants and it is the perfect way to reduce jaundice symptoms. The antioxidants act as a powerful tool in helping the liver, blood, and the body to cleanse and remove toxins out of the system. Squeeze the juice of the lemon in a glass of warm water and add honey to it. Drink this juice in an empty stomach early in the morning.
- Tomato juice: Tomato juice is rich in vitamin C, and lycopene, which helps to detoxify the liver and treat jaundice effectively. Drink a glass of tomato juice with a pinch of salt and pepper every morning on an empty stomach for a couple of weeks or till the symptoms are reduced.
- Garlic: Garlic is rich in antioxidants. Garlic supports liver detoxification and helps you speed up the recovery from jaundice.
- Tulsi: Tulsi leaves have hepatoprotective properties. Tulsi leaves helps to boost immunity and fights off infections. Collect 10 to 15 leaves of holy basil and grind to a smooth paste. Add fresh juice of radish and mix it thoroughly. For best results, drink this preparation for at least two to three weeks.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is rich in probiotics which helps to bring down your bilirubin levels in the body. Consuming a bowl of plain yogurt mixed with spices like pepper powder, cumin powder, and salt gives the best result for patients suffering from jaundice.
- Green grape juice: Green grapes are rich in dietary fibres and antioxidants. Drink green grape juice to protect the liver and to boost metabolism.
- Barley: The diuretic properties of barley help to flush toxins and excess bilirubin out through urine. Add a teaspoon of roasted barley powder in a glass of water and mix well. Drink this liquid by adding a teaspoon of honey to it.
- Ginger: The antioxidant present in ginger helps in liver detoxification and reduces bilirubin levels in the blood plasma. Add ginger in your daily diet or have ginger tea to treat jaundice.
Jaundice may be a serious condition if not treated on time. The above-listed home remedies would help you reduce the disease. There are a lot of herbal combinations available in Ayurveda to improve liver function and help protect the liver from diseases. Shop Ayurvedic products online from the best online pharmacy store in India and get them delivered at your doorstep.
The liver can heal jaundice by itself so, never overload with heavy foods. Here, we have listed out a few things you need to take care of your diet to relieve your symptoms.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water every day.
- Add fibre rich foods, fresh fruits, and veggies in your diet.
- Avoid high protein and carbohydrate-rich foods.
- Avoid fatty foods and oily foods.
- Maintain healthy body weight and manage cholesterol levels in the body.
- Avoid alcohol, refined sugars, processed foods, canned foods, and saturated fats in the diet.